Sunday, March 7, 2010

Welcome to Tokyo! (Day 1 & 2)

At Sensoji Temple

Tamika reading her fortune

At Ueno Park--rain and all!

Sensoji temple with our new friends and tour guides!

After 16.5 hours in the air and 3 hours by bus, we made it to Tokyo on Friday! My best friend, Juan, told us that we would have a hard time adjusting to the time zone (Tokyo is 15 hours ahead of us), but fortunately, we've awaken at around 7 a.m. each morning.

Yesterday, Juan took Tamika and I around Ginza (the most expensive district in Tokyo) and taught us about Japan's very punctual and efficient subway system. I must admit, it is difficult, but we're gradually getting the hang of it. I managed to lead Tamika and I to three different places by absorbing Juan's handy tips and utilizing a map. Everyone that knows me knows that I am handicapped when it comes to directions, so it was quite a feat ;-)

Today, we went to Asakusa and saw Sensoji Shrine. We tried wagashi--a traditional Japanese sweet. I had the green tea version, and Tamika had the plain one. They were delicious. We also tried rice cakes and another sort of sweet (both of which weren't as good). We met a great group of volunteer guides on our way to meet some other volunteer guides that we could not find. The beauty of getting lost! The guides were college students, and were super informative. One has even offered to guide us when we go to Kyoto.

We also visited Ueno Park, walked around the Ueno area, and went back to Ginza to see Kabuki theatre, but it was standing room only. We will try again another day....

After getting lost on the train, we found our way back to the base. AnJuan took us to a friend's home for a cookout, which was fun. Pics are below....

Nissan in Ginza

5 storied pagonda near Sensoji temple

6 comments:

  1. These are wonderful. Continue to enjoy your trip and be safe. I'm going to forward these to Ms. Ike. I always share how well you guys are doing. It's good to see young black women out traveling and enjoying life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim! Will do. Please tell Ms. Ike we said hello. We are enjoying things a great deal. See you soon girl! SD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies, what an experience! I love the excitement you have going on. A "Japanese Diva" in your outfit! I know you have much more to do & enjoy!
    Thank you for sharing this with me. I feel a little closer thanks to your blog.
    Amazing girl, Enjoy your self & see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kenya! The maiko makeover/transformation was an extremely fun experiene. They tie so many ropes around your body to hide your curves. The culture here is amazing. Thank you for viewing the blog and responding! We appreciate it so much! Be on the lookout for videos soon See you soon honey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your makeover was so cute! Looks like you all are having a blast :o)

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Joy Joy! Sorry, I'm responding so late. I was Stunner wasn't I?! I haven't set the comments up to be sent to my email. We are having a lot of fun. See you soon
    ;-) SD

    ReplyDelete